Thread: love from kenya
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #57
madubois63

Christie - I would like to extend a warm welcome here. It's a terrible reason that your here, but you found a great place to be!! You've gotten a lot of good advice and I would like to add some more...Just when you think your not going to loose your eye brows and eye lashes, they will fall out. The AC builds up and has a residual effect, so after your done taking the AC on on to the Herceptin that is when it will fall out. It's not the Herceptin. Herceptin is not a chemo, and you will find it very easy to take - no nausea. As for the nausea you are experiencing now, ginger is great. Drink it as tea, pickled ginger like you get with sushi or hard candies. Licorice also helps. It comes in tea form or eat it like the string. We have "Twizzlers" that are very sugary. Try to get the most natural licorice possible. Try sherbet, ices or sorbet. Lemon drops help too. Stay away from garlicky and spicy foods. Try chicken soup, plain pasta, jello, apple sauce. Think of what they would serve you in the hospital after surgery. Day three after the chemo was always the hardest for me. Radiation doesn't hurt, but your skin may get tender and burnt at the end. Use the aloe gel as recommended by someone else. If you start to get burned, ask the docs for cream. Someone else can tell you the name. I can't remember. It's been nearly 9 years since I had radiation. If I were you, I would definetly go to India for the radiation. You said the machines in Kenya weren't so great. The radiation can nip your lung and cause breathing problems later on, so the newer the machine the better. Wear light cotton clothing and camisole tops instead of bras for comfort. Drink lots of water/fluids throughout the radiation too!! Check out your local Cancer Society. Ask how they could help you. We have the American Cancer Society and they helped pay for pain medications, babysitting while I was in treatment and they reimbursed me for travel to and from treatment. Also, check out
http://www.heavenlyhats.com/ They will send you free scarves and hats. It's fun to get a surprize package!! Keep your spirits up and keep laughing!! It truly is the best medicine...God luck and God bless - Maryann from Long Island, New York
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver