Thread: Tamox or not?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
LouLou

Tamox or not?

Hi, I’ve been more of a reader than a poster since finding this site after I was dx in Feb 09.
I’m after some discussion about my situation. Here’s my background, I was dx at 39 had a WLE for multifocal IDC 2.1cm and 1.5cm 2/10 pos nodes ER+, PR+ Her2+++.
I did AC x 4, Taxol x 12, 12 mths of herceptin and Rads. The Chemo sent me into menopause confirmed by blood test so my Onc started me on Arimidex as he thought it was a better drug for Her2 BC than Tamox.
I had a baseline DEXA scan that showed osteopenia prior to starting the Arimidex, he thought my period may come back due to my age so he checked my hormone level every 3 months and started me on Vit D and Caltrate.
I have remained in Menopause, my blood estrogen level was undetectable (below 3) at each blood test and my FSH kept rising, so looks like menopause is permanent, I haven’t had a period for more than 18 months.
Anyway had my 1 yr follow up DEXA scan and it showed a 6-10% in decrease in bone mass in hip and spine measurements and I now dx with osteoporosis. My Onc has stopped the Arimidex for good and commenced me on Zometa.
We discussed Tamox but he felt it would only give me an additional 2% reduction in risk of recurrence so I decided the potential SE out weighed the benefit for 2%. My Onc was happy with what ever I decided, he didn't push for the Tamox at all.
While I was popping the Arimidex I felt I was actively “fighting” the BC now I’m having second thoughts that maybe I should give Tamox a go, although I have read the info about Her2 BC being resistant to it.
Does anybody have any further info about the benefit of Tamox in preventing recurrence in triple pos BC?