View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Unregistered

Re: What should I do?

Sorry can't remember my log in.

I'm having trouble deciding about hormone therapy as well, this is what my Onc as I discussed a couple of weeks ago. Dx at40 was stage 3a, multifocal with 2 pos nodes, skin involvement, triple pos.
When I finished Chemo I started Arimidex as I was in chemopause, stopped Arimidex after 1 yr due to osteoporois, onc was happy for me not to take any hormone therapy as I was still in menapuse, said Tamox would only reduce my recurrence risk by 2% - so I decided not to take it.
My period returned 6 months ago, has been irregular and lasts a couple of weeks with lots of spotting in between, haven't been on any hormone therapy, bloods now show I'm pre menopausal again, saw onc a couple of weeks ago.
He thought Zoladex might be a good choice to lower estrogen and also fix the bleeding issues.
He said the trials for zoladex were only for 2 yrs and I'm coming up to 3 yrs post surgery in Feb and had 2 yrs of chemo induced menopause was beneficial as far as reducing my recurrence risk, so we don't know if would be of benefit or not, he said a lot of Oncs choice to give it for 5 yrs though.
So the options are;
Tamoxifen - clinical trails indicate it's not as effective for Her2 BC, would only give me small percentage of benefit, can take if I want to feel as if I'm doing something but of no great benefit.
Zoladex for a yr or more, unfortunately my BMD is still bad despite Zomtea infusions, so maybe not a good option for my bones
Or do nothing, which he would be comfortable with as it the first 2 - 3 yrs after dx is the most crucial as fare as recurrence risk.
Will talk to him further in the week to make a decision.
Hope this helps