View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Lien

Re: What should I do?

Hi Emma,

I had Zoladex for almost 5 years, which shut down my ovaries. After the first shot I had a really bad period, which lasted for 10 days or so, and then nothing for 5,5 years. It was lovely to go around doing things without worrying about tampons, leaking, etc. I had some hot flashes, but regular excercise kept them in check.

I am somewhat surprised that your tiny tumor called for such an aggressive approach. Did you have an Oncotype test to determine your risk of recurrence? Perhaps they hit it with the big guns because you are still quite young?

Anyway, I just wanted to share that for me Zoladex was doable and after I finished the 5 years, my periods came back. I am still NED, even though I never had either Chemo or Herceptin. Ofcourse, there are no guarantees, but I am glad I didn't have to have chemo. Hopefully the Zoladex combined with Arimidex did the trick. By the way, that might be another option for you: you could replace Tamoxifen with an Aromatase Inhibitor if you are on Zoladex.

Perhaps a second opinion can help you make up your mind?

Jacqueline
From the Netherlands
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote