Thread: dairy products
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 07:22 AM   #3
Kaye

In doing my own research I found that that one of the pathways for some breast cancer involves what is called indole 3 carbinol. I can't recall exactly what it does or doesn't do. Another thing that went along with it was p53--which I am also not exactly sure what it is other than it seems to be elevated with alot of types of breast cancer. So, based on the info I had above--I did a web search on those and diet and learned that cruciferous vegetables--cabbage as well as broccoli appear to be able to reduce those markers. However, I am not sure of the amounts that are needed to be effective. So, the vegetable Plant talks about seem to be able to interfere with one of the breast cancer pathways that need to be blocked.
Thus, her theory makes alot of sense to me--for some. As far as dairy--I don't know if that would be for all breast cancers or those who are Her2+ Initially I thought it would apply more to dairy products that were resultant of hormone fed animals. However, I don't think they allow hormone fed livestock in England or other parts of Great Britain. In reality, though, milk is a product that helps infants grow. After they reach a certain age it is no longer needed--at least in the amounts they are often fed. Interestingly we look at lower risks of breast cancer among certain Asian populations. That has been attributed to soy; however, it is my understanding that their amount of dairy product consumption is considerably less as well.
I am not sure we need to throw the baby out with the bath water--and stop feeding people milk altogether after a certain age. I am sure it might be helpful for treating a variety of adult conditions. However, I am not so sure the majority of us need it on a regular basis beyond infancy. The dairy industry has become a major part of our economy--or at least it was and milk products have been part of many of our cultures for years before that. However, that doesn't mean that they are necessarily beneficial to the majority or even a small subset of us.
And as far as Jane Plant healing herself from b.c.---does the book say where her mets were or if she were tested for metastatic disease or different types of cancers?