View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
janet11

I also had TCH and will add: Biotene mouthwash (over the counter) was my best friend when I had "sewer mouth" (*grin*). When the taste was bad, there were times I'd use the Biotene every 15 minutes! It really helped.

My favorite drink is plain water and I was lucky: it didn't taste nasty until cycle 6. And even then, that didn't last long.

Each cycle things changed a bit on what I felt like eating and what I could eat. So if you find that something tastes bad, just look for something else. You'll find that you classify things as 'good', 'ok', and 'disgusting' (*grin*).

When I started on TCH, I also ended up having to take an over-the-counter reflux med daily. I treated the side effects of chemo as I had them and they were quite manageable.

I was told to keep active -- that that helps with the fatigue. I don't know. I'm not particularly active, but didn't have much fatigue. After cycle 2 when my white counts dove, I took Neulasta shots. But that was all. Other blood counts were never dangerously low.

Remember, there are a lot of side effects people have. Most of us have a few of them. Some even most. But generally we all get hit a bit differently.

I had nausea meds, but not Emend. My onc said that she gives that to people getting AC, but that most of her TCH patients didn't need it. Turns out that I didn't either.

TCH was very doable. Thanks to Prevacid, Immodium, Senekot, and Biotene mouthwash (hated the toothpaste), the worst of TCH was the taste changes. By the end of chemo, I was dreaming of salads. (Yep -- one of the first things that tasted bad to me early on was vinegar, and I love vinagrette dressings (*grin*)).

Good luck.

Janet

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote