View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
KsGal

Re: Starting WBR for brain metz

Thank you all so much for the prayers and positive energy and just...support. I love the support my family and friends give me, but this is really the only place I can come that makes me feel like you "get me" and you understand how it feels to BE me, because there is always someone to identify with what you are going through, who has been there and done that.
Deena, I had gone to the onc on Wednesday and told him I was having some pretty intense stabbing type headaches, and he had scheduled me for an MRI in about 10 days. Before that at my last scheduled appointment I had asked for one just because I was year out from diagnosis on herceptin, and knew it left my brain kind of hanging out there with no protection. He had told me then we would wait to scan any other areas until I had symptoms. This of course scared me because when Denise was scanned she was feeling fine and turned out to have brain mets as well.
I think I am just lucky that the radiation oncologist they called came up to the hospital and decided to give it shot. Before he had arrived, they had told my family I had a tumor in my brain stem, and there wasn't much they could do at that point besides comfort care. This doctor tells me there is not a tumor in my brain stem, and he had it overread by someone else just to make sure. But it was the swelling, and I seem to be responding to the steroids quite well. I have an appointment with my regular oncologist Monday, where I am going to insist on getting Tykerb.
More than anything I hate putting my family through all this. My kids don't have a father, and although they are grown for the most part, my youngest who lives with me and goes through the brunt of the emotional rollercoaster is only 18, and its a lot to handle for anyone.
Jessica...thank you so much for responding. Your story gives me so much hope and courage. I, of course, did the bad thing and came home and researched the effectiveness of whole brain radiation. Why, oh, why do I do those things? I am more than determined to get this under control, I am excited to complete it and move on with life.
I know I haven't been on this board as long as most of you, but I do want you all to know that I genuinely care for all of you and I pray for you and I feel a bond with you all. I thank God that this place is here....big hugs all the way around.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote