View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
DeenaH

Re: Starting WBR for brain metz

I'm praying too! I am also right there in the boat with you. I was dx with brain mets 2 weeks ago. Did gamma knife last week, but what had been 4 tiny tumors turned to be more than 10, so I started WBR yesterday.

It shocks me how many doctors don't order brain MRI's. I was getting them every 6 monts because I am HER2+. But, it was because I asked for them, not that my doctor just orders them. My routine MRI was totally clean in October, but then 4 small areas of foci showed up on my PET/CT 4 weeks later. It was enough to order a repeat MRI which sure enough showed 4 small mets (all under6mm). That was 6 weeks after clean MRI! A week later when I was there for gamma knife, the super contrast MRI showed the largest tumor was 9mm, and there were 10+ of them. They zapped 8. Those suckers came on fast! I have been on Tykerb for 2 years now, and in sept had to stop for about 3 weeks due to severe diarrhea. I believe that is how this happened. I will never stop my tykerb again!!
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote