View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Mary L

Re: Over 8 years and counting

Hi Juliet. I am a new member and I am also an 8 year survivor of stage IIIB IBC I was so happy when I saw your story on the IBC site. There are not alot of us around. Actually, we are truly blessed. I was diag. 2003 and given the usual chemos, mastectomy, followed by rad. It came back 9 months later apparent by the raised, red inflammation that was spreading across my mastectomy site I had two options, one was very drastic surgery that more than likely get all the cancer cells or try this new cancer drug, Herceptin. I started the Herceptin along with Carboplatin the next day. In 3 weeks the inflammation was fading and in 3 months it was all gone. I stayed on Herceptin for 5 years only stopping when my heart tests showed that it was affecting my heart. I had 3 recurences when I was off the Herceptin but when I went back on he cance would disappear. I have been cancer free and off herceptin for 3 years this Oct. 2010. I would love to hear from you. Also congratulations on your 8 year survival! Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote