View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
Paula O

Re: www.littlepink.org

Karen, I'm so glad you were able to go. What was your favorite part of the week? Mine was the paddleboarding but I loved everything. Ev, I sincerely wish your daughter had been selected too. I imagine she and her family would have enjoyed it very much and I know you wanted that for them.

There are many, many applications that come in each year from those desiring to participate in a free retreat and there is a committee who has the very challenging job of selecting a handful of families for each retreat. I don't know their criteria but I do know there is a diverse group selected in each retreat. I am confident that being chosen to participate has nothing to do with "being special or knowing someone in the organization". Every family is special and deserving yet there are only a certain number of beach homes donated for the week along with gifts of meals from restaurants, donated activities like paddleboarding, pampering, golfing, etc, etc. Thankfully, more retreats in more states have opened up over time plus a couples retreat on an island in the Caribbean. I am amazed at what this very young, growing organization has accomplished in just a few short years. BTW, the latest issue of "Self" magazine features the founder of LPHOH among three women "making a difference". What a big heart Jeanine has! She is also Her2 positive as we are.

There is a story told around a campfire on the beach at the retreats which I think applies well to LPHOH, who is making a beautiful difference in the lives of families battling breast cancer that they are able to help, even though they obviously can not provide a retreat for everyone who applies: http://www.esc16.net/users/0020/FACE...sh%20Story.pdf

Even though it's true that there are lots and lots of people applying,IMHO it is totally worth taking the short time it takes to fill out an application. It's a trip of a lifetime full of lovely family memories.

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote