View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Becky

Re: mastectomy or partial mastectomy?

Joanna

I also want to add that one reason I got three opinions on surgery is that I COULD NOT believe that no one told me to get a masectomy. And no one did. I didn't have anyone to ask or lean on so - with 3 opinions all saying lumpectomy, that's what I did. Like you (being about one year out), I fretted over the lumpectomy decision and really regretted not having a bilateral masectomy but I don't anymore. As I said earlier, although I don't want a local recurrence or a new breast cancer, if anything should happen in the future - off with the "girls". So, I am diligent about my monthly breast exams (I have a "name" for the lumpectomy hole in my breast - the "shoot" - ie: down the shoot and up the other side)

I get my mammos on time etc (and they are a little nerve wracking but oh well). I truly understand your concern and question though - totally. I have felt the same as you and many times wished I had had bilateral masectomy but I went in with informed opinions and now, I just go with the flow.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote