View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #50
Colleens_Husband

Becky:

I didn't take offense with your post. I do wonder if sometimes I overdo it. After all, I am your guest here, I didn't have cancer. I just want to be entertaining or interesting.

I can't answer for all men but I'll tell you why I act childlike at times.

I am the boss of a company and seven families rely on me to make sound decisions for their income. In my county, two-thirds of the businesses in my profession have already gone out of business in the last year. Our company is one or two bad decisions from going under. Because business is iffy, I can either work harder and faster than everyone else or I can lay people off. If you are a good and decent boss, there really isn't much of choice.

When I get home I still have a load of housework to do and two younger children who still need guidance and care. Colleen has been a great worker and a super helpmate, but she is just finishing chemo and she is overdoing it, so I have to work even harder to keep the household running. It is more often than not that my day starts at 5AM and I am working pretty steadily to 8PM.

That's just too much serious stuff for too long. If I get a chance to be like a real person, on a rare occasion, I'm taking it. So I come here and act like a total goof, it's because it gives me a sense of balance in my life. Plus, I hope that I can help make this place a refuge to all the brave women and some men who come here to escape the grind of dealing with cancer. If I can make a few people laugh, then that is all I can hope for and I would feel that I succeeded in some small way.

So why do men act childish? It's probably just to remind themselves that they are still people and still capable of experiencing ............ something other than the crushing responsibility of feeding a family, being a husband, being a dad, and everything else.

And it's mostly a real hoot.

And I didn't cause the stock market crash just to get rid of my business competition. I did it because I got bored and couldn't think of anything better to do other than try to get my name on television.

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008
life is still on hold
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote