View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #15
AlaskaAngel

Re: The Emperor of All Maladies

I watched it and enjoyed seeing and listening to and learning from all the talented people who have been key in making a difference from the past and present (including Ken Burns and his people, and all the PBS people involved).

But I was disappointed that after over a decade of trastuzumab usage for early stage HER2 positive bc, I didn't understand why targeted treatment like trastuzumab does not work for all HER2 positive patients, or why there are strongly HER2 positive patients who never received it and yet have not recurred many years later. I missed a brief part of the presentation, and wonder if anyone else could explain what trials have been done or are in progress to find out to try to limit the overuse of the treatment?

A.A.

P.S. The portion I missed was right when they started talking about pathways and I think they did a quick image of connecting various dots with various colors. Where I missed making full sense of that image was because my mind went wandering off on its own in trying to evaluate the benefit of targeted drugs if cancers just generally mutate anyway.

Then I started wondering if maybe my cancer had mutated and whether that is what actually ended up saving my bacon rather than cooking it, since I never had trastuzumab yet I had a very aggressive stage 1 HER2 breast cancer. And after that bit of wandering, I started wondering just what role the chemo might have really played in my cancer... and whether it wasn't the killing of cancer cells by chemo that did the trick but rather perhaps it was the chemo that caused the mutation....

I'm sorry. I will watch the rest of the 3rd program over to see what I missed.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED

Last edited by AlaskaAngel; 04-02-2015 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: what I missed and why
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote