View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #24
Becky

When I went to secure my Herceptin, I went to 3 Cancer centers because my onc would not give it to me. (When the ASCO presentations came out, their recommendation was to give Herceptin to every HER 2 woman who was 6 months or less out of chemotherapy and I was 3.5 months out but my onc insisted it was 6 months from diagnosis). So, I went to another local cancer center and they were giving it every week and I went to Sloan Kettering who was giving it every 3 weeks. Sloan was second so I asked about the difference in 1 wk versus 3 wks and they said no difference at all.

I ended up getting it every week but after 12 weeks switched to every 3 weeks (yesterday was my second one). My new onc (yes I did switch at the end of July even though the onc who would not give me herceptin did give it to me since I said I would switch - went to him so I could start asap but then did go) picked up the ball at every week and said I could switch to every 3 weeks whenever I wanted. I counted out on the calendar so I would be "off" during the holidays and vacation then started.

It's great to have that freedom and herceptin has a half life of 20.8 days so the concentration of herceptin in your body is just as high as every week.

Best regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote