View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Becky

Re: GM-CSF as therapy

Nice finds as the first two studies I have not seen. I used GM-CSF (brand name Leukine) instead of Neulasta as my white cell booster taking it days 2-12 after every chemo cycle and for 2-9 after my last chemo cycle.

Who knows why I continue to do well? I pulled out all the stops at the time because Herceptin was not available in the adjuvant setting at the time (even though I got it starting 4 months after chemo was completed).
Leukine was hard to take but I have no reference point on using it versus Neulasta. My first 10 injections after my first chemo instilled profound fatigue and vertigo - especially after the first injection.

GM-CSF is used in all the vaccine trials due to its ability to boost all components of the white blood cell types, not just the neutrophils as Neulasta and Neupogen do. It produces a 9X count on the dendrites, critical to self immunization to cancer cells. I used to always tell myself that I could do this as I was potentially creating a self immunizing (vaccine) system within myself.

Thanks for this post Rich and all the others you post as well.

PS - I did experience leukocytosis with a normal neutrophil count but greatly increased monocytes and lymphocytes. My basophils and einocyphils were increased which exasperated allergic responses (had some trouble with this but could not take antihistimines which would counteract the leukocytosis (which you want to have happen)). Another thing you want to have happen while on this therapy is hives at the injection site and I got that too. A real pain of a side effect but apparently, unless you don't start to get them after shot 7, it may not be doing the job. I was excited when I got the hives (sick, eh?) and then I had to put up with the 4 months of that which is a pain in the butt. You can see I have the Leukine in my signature.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"

Last edited by Becky; 11-07-2009 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Added PS
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote