View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
al from canada

Dear Anne,
I do know that, to the caregiver, partner, spouse etc, the process seems cold, inhumane and sometimes bordering on incompetent. Doctors are on holidays, scans are booked 4 weeks away, what next? I found the only way to expediate decisions and treatments is to become educated and informed in the disease so if needed, you can challenge the decisions. I know that if treated as an emergency, you can get a same-day scan!
First, search the board for Bone Mets and findout what the treatment options are, what is the first-line tx and what is 2nd line. Find out from the Dr. if there is cance of spine compression, where are the mets, how extensive are they, is it anywhere else.
I wouldn't except waiting another week to find out test results especially if it is for a diagnosis, not monitoring. Sometime you have to take the adversarial position: the doctors may have a large patient load but you only have a load of one! That's how you have to treat it: with informed response. If you need help getting informed, just post it on the board and I'm sure you will get your share of experieinces.
Al