View Single Post
Old 11-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
Unregistered

A further article on dietary fats omega three and six and breast cancer

Please find below two, more articles that may help clarify how it all fits together.

http://repositories.cdlib.org/cgi/vi...tionnoteworthy

Lisa Shapiro (1999) "Effects of Omega-6 and Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids
on Breast Cancer ", Nutrition Noteworthy: Vol. 2: Article 6.

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/tripping.html

I started knowing nothing about the subject, and continue to struggle but am begining to get a hint of ghost of an image of how it all fits, and understand how HUGE and complex and delicate and multiple option the mechanisms are. It is also apparent how much the scientific community do not know, and how "crude" drugs targeting is in terms of the whole (as yet far from fully understood) mechanism at the present time. The huge benifits of scientific advance cannot be denied, and should be loudly applauded, but in terms of comparison with progress in the electronics industry cancer cures are proabably closer to Graham Alexander Bell than todays microchips.

All of this emphasises the possible importance of making full use of natures very sophisticated chemistry "kit" in the battle. Finding significant dietary causes / inhibitors and eliminating / including them is likely to be very much easier than a comprehensive engineered cure in the short (years) term. They are more extensive that you would think. Walnuts have more antioxidants than pommegranites. Cabbage and cauliflower have been researched among many others. Button mushrooms feature. Suggestions of 70% risk reductions for omega three, linseeds, are not to be lightly ignored. Many benifits seem to be lost in heavy cooking - a juicer or liquidising is well worth cheking out.

See the last but one paragraph of the Lisa Shapiro article. In a trial a "dramatic" change in the balance of fats in breast tissue (omega three six) was acheived in three months (but it takes three years in adipose tissue).

I hope the above is of use. If you have the luxury of time to try and understand the outline of the eicosanoid pathways, I think it will repay you by allowing you to make informed decisions, and beome evident how important it si to general health - heart, circulation, arthritis, mental etc.

If your head feels like it is full of spaggetti trying to get to grips with this don't worry so did mine and it still does.

RB

PS Fish oil has been reported as helping to burn brown fat (and possible help regulate weight) so if your lower back is warmer that is possibly why.