View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #16
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: The power of words

Juls, I had a similar ordeal this past June/July/into August!!!!!!!!!!

For a biopsy (ct guided needle biopsy of the mesentery/abdomen). New place. New doc. I called. And called. And was very nice and polite but anxiously waiting for the news of the now called "mass" spreading per CT scan in June). Gheeshh!

Benign.

Why was the doc, who I finally got, so silent at first???? Did he have bad news he couldn't figure out how to relate??? I asked him after he finally said, benign. SO WHY DON'T YOU SOUND HAPPIER???? He said, Well, we can never be 100% certain when something is benign.

Ok. How certain are you?????? Longggg pause. Slowly, 9 5 %.....

I'LL TAKE IT! Nothing in life is 100% certain.

With my once ev 8 wk scans (for 1 yr, then ev 3 mnth scans, finally, ev 4 mnth scans, and then ev 6 mnth scans) -- I have them performed at my chosen Imaging Center affiliated with the Boca Raton Hospital, which gives same day reports. They have an excellent reputation.

The Cancer Center where my doc now is (he used to be affiliated with Boca Raton Hosp) you never get same day reports. I have to explain this when I call for my results if I haven't heard by 2 PM.

I go in at 9 AM. I have a script that asks for a same day report. I verify this verbally.

These days my doc's office is so busy, I have to call. I call at 10:30 AM to let them know I have had my CT scans and am home and waiting with bated breath.

I call again at 2 PM if need be.

I always verify that my doc will in fact be in the office the day of my scan, or I know I can not receive the results.

I've been with my onc for 20 yrs. I was his first patient. For real. We have a special relationship, but he is wonderful to alll his patients.

He has called me in the past from limos to or from airports, from luggage carousels. He always returns my calls the same day.

Nowadays it's like pulling teeth as they say, but I am persistent. Both my husband and I can't breathe until we hear. To this day.

Part of me says, UNTIL YOU HAVE EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY, BELIEVE ALL IS STABLE. Another part of me has inscaniety. Just like every one else.

What mantra were you referring to, Juls? One I've posted or one I may have up my sleeve??

Glad you had a good report!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!

So so sorry you had to w a i t .....
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote