View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
alicem

Treatment for an 87 year old mom

Hi everyone,

The 87 year old mom of a friend of mine was recently diagnosed with breast cancer for the first time. My friend, Barb, is having difficulty registering on this site so I am asking questions for her. Here is the pathology info that I have received:

Breast, right, partial mastectomy - poorly differentiated (grade III/III)
Invasive ductal carcinoma, 3.3 cm in greatest dimension, with all surgical margins free of tumor (T1NXMX, histologic stage IIA)

The surgeon recommended a lumpectomy since Bette has a history of strokes when being under full anesthesia. At first the family thought that Bette would only be receiving Herceptin and Tamoxifen (she has osteoporosis). Now there is confusion as to whether she will need radiation.

1. What are the dangers of radiation for a woman of her age?

2. Is radiation really necessary?

3. Does it make sense for her to receive only Herceptin, without chemo?

4. Does anyone know of someone with a similar age/diagnosis...what have they done?

5. Bette lives in South Dakota and is seeing an oncologist in Rapid City. Does anyone have any experience with doctors in that area?

6. If radiation is recommended, would it be a good idea to get a second opinion?

That is all for now. I know from past experience with my own cancer that the men and women on this forum are brilliant and oh so helpful.

Thank you in advance!!

Alice
10/01/08 - Ob/Gyn appt.: found complex, mostly cystic mass on right ovary - 11cmx12cmx 8cm
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote