View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
madubois63

Like Paris, I wish docs would be more up front about side effects. Too much chemo induced leukemia in my case (very rare), but would I do it all over again - YOU BET! Of course, everyone's situation is different (I was stage IV from the get go), and everyone's decision should be their own. Do not let anyone (even your onc) pressure or rush you into doing something you don't want to do, but make sure you can live comfortably (and sleep) with that decision. As of yet, there is no cure for bc. Over expressing the Her2 gene makes our cancer more aggressive, and I personally would suggest at least doing Herceptin. For most, it is a very easy treatment. I don't loose my hair (I did Herceptin a few years ago and am back on it now), and it doesn't make me nauseous. Talk you to your onc and tell him/her how you feel. It also seems to me that now is the best time for you to get a second and even third opinion (any time is good for that though).

I know there are a lot of people out there in cyber space reading this and not posting because they made the decision not to get chemo and feel they will be ridiculed for their decision. Anyone brave (may not be the right word) enough to post your reasons for not doing treatments??

Snufi - good luck in your decision and keep posting!!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver