View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
PatS

Hi Joannie - I understand your dilemma completely. I emailed a few well known oncs and no one says they believe I should do the herceptin. Everyone says no scientific evidence to prove etc. etc. etc. One dr. did say "I think your intuition is telling you to go for it and I would trust it. The more we know about Herceptin I think we realize it should be used - the earlier the better! I'd just be sure your heart is still in good working order (the cardiac side effects are the only downside from Herceptin) and go for it! It feels to be that you will only spend the next several years worrying about it and etc, etc. if you didn't." but she's a breast surgeon who has a lot of bc patients not an onc. I'm like you I think my gut says do it but so many experts say no! It's hard to go against that. My onc says she will give it to me if I want it but says she wouldn't do it if she were me. No one will understand my going back into treatment after so long against the advise of my onc, and I know this shouldn't effect my decision but it's hard not to consider that. I've had this going around in my head so much I don't know what to do....too much going on and too many big decisions lately, but I've got to decide soon. I'm sorry I'm no help but you're not alone in your dilemma.

Pat
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote