View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
sarah

AS Caya said about Canadians, here in France there would be a violent revolution if they changed the health care system. Having been treated in both the USA and France for cancer, I personally am happier to be here where I don't have to worry will the insurance company fight me about my care. Health insurance in the US costs a lot of money. I had "great" insurance and still paid $10,000 or more out of pocket for the loop holes.
The French government has absolutely NOTHING to say about my treatment and wouldn't dare to say anything. My oncologist is who decides and he decides with me - since I'm a pro-active patient.
I too have trouble understanding this fear that the government will take it over - it's certainly not being used properly or economical now and since the USgovernment is paying twice as much as the universal health care countries per person, something is wrong.
As for social security, it's a right and it's fully funded and if the government would not borrow from its lucrative fund, it would be even better funded.
Many doctors I've had in the US have fallen out of various health insurance plans because of the paperwork; and malpractice is hugely expensive for them.
Also there is always the danger of an epidemic breaking out and poor people, who can't afford to go to their doctors, getting sicker and making others sicker. I really think it is cheaper for a person to see their local doctor and be treated early than to wait until it becomes a catastrophic illness.
Sadly I think the American public will be scared again into thinking they can't choose their doctors or can't get the best care - as if many can now. Don't you have to refer to a list of doctors signed to your insurance!!?? I know I did when I had my private insurance in the US.
As I've said before just because you're in a universal care system doesn't mean you can't see any doctor you want - some you just may have to pay for out of pocket.

I LOVE the universal heath care here in France - it's great - the New York Times voted France #1 for health care and very human. However I'd still rather be healthy!
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote