View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 06:07 PM   #68
BarbaraL

Kathy,

I am TOTALLY confused too. My oncologist and research coordinator have tried to help - but I believe the bottom line is they truly do not know. They have left the decision up to me.

One day I think I should take the Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year and then the next day I think I should not.

Today I am leaning toward not doing it. I will be out of chemo 2 years this coming October 2005.

I really wish I knew the benefit (if any) from taking Herceptin at this point. There are just no studies that I know of about women in our situation. It's anyone's guess.

I think about the hormone therapies - they block the hormone "receptors" for years after chemo or with no chemo at all. So I can't help but wonder if Herceptin might be able to do the same on the Her2 "receptors." But this is just me wondering - I have never read or heard anything that says this.

You asked about tumor markers - I guess I don't really know my status. My blood tests have always been normal. Is that how tumor markers are monitored?

Please keep me posted about your decision - I wish you all the best.

I would also appreciate any information from you or anyone out there that could help me with this decision.

Thanks so much for responding to my post - I feel less alone.

BarbaraL