View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #14
rhondalea

Re: Help! My hand and foot joints hurt!!!

This is something of a long shot, but you might want to have your thyroid checked. Steroids interfere with thyroid metabolism, so it may be that the dexamethasone you received with the earlier chemo has left you with a wobbly thyroid. The fact that you have arthritis is a clue that your thyroid may have been struggling anyway.

I say this only because when I have been undermedicated on thyroid hormone, I have experienced the pain and swelling you describe. (And the steroids are wreaking havoc with my thyroid right now, which is why I thought of it as a possibility.)

As an aside, I now regularly soak my feet in vinegar, and although I was expecting foot problems with Taxol (because I started having foot problems with AC, specifically pain and swelling, albeit not in the joints), my feet are doing fine. For this reason, I started soaking my hands also, and they're fine too.

I have no idea if this will help with your pain, but because it's innocuous, it might be worth a shot.

If you want to do it with your hands, it's best to soak a pair of gloves--I use both plain white gloves and a pair of old microfiber moisturizing gloves--in the vinegar . You can them pull on a pair of rubber gloves over the soaked gloves and go about your business. I usually keep them on for about 15-20 minutes (or until they start to itch or sting), then rinse and moisturize. Your hands will look and feel like you've had them in water for hours, but the sensation and appearance subsides in a short time.

Another possibility is the use of a topical capsaicin cream like Zostrix or Capzasin (or one of the many generics). The only problem is that you can't wear gloves over it, and until you wash it off, anything you touch is going to burn. I have stories.

Re fish oil, I had understood that the contraindication is specific to platinum-based chemo drugs, so you might want to ask if you can take it with Herceptin. Research indicates fish oil has a profound effect on joint pain, so it may go a long way to resolving the problem.

I find pain in the hands to be almost incapacitating, so I hope you find a solution soon.
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote