View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #57
fauxgypsy

Bonnie,
Emend is a prescription drug and pricey for three pills but it is wonderful for nausea. When I started taking it the weeks I had carboplatin I didn't have nearly as much trouble with taste changes either. I didn't need it for the for the taxol/herceptin weeks.

I am on Mississippi medicaid and even though there is a federal law that calls for insurance companies that pay for mastectomies to pay for reconstruction, it seems to be that the states have to mandate it. 36 states do, but Mississippi is one of the ones who do not (at least that is what I was told when I called last week.) In my reading, I actually read that insurance companies do not have to pay for mastectomies. I am self employed and had tried to get insurance but was turned down for pre-existing conditions. I am glad I was able to get medicaid but I am not through with this issue. I am going to follow up with our state senator for our district. The federal government will match any expenses they incur just like they do for other surgeries. Although as little as medicaid actually pays them, I am not sure I could find a surgeon who would take it.

Christina, Just remember that these drugs do not target cancer cells, they target rapidly dividing cells, so that they can have effects across all of your systems. Especially cells that are replaced often like the one that line your intestines, etc. That is why they affect your hair cells as well. Some of us get bloody crusty noses and on and on. So there are varied side effects. But if you are ever in doubt, call your doctor or nurse practitioner. Make sure you read the handouts that they gave you when you started chemo so you will have an idea of what to expect and what is unusual. I almost didn't mention a side effect to my doctor recently, I thought it was nothing to worry about. I was having chills. What I wasn't worried about prompted him to do a good bit of blood work. If anything is bothering you then it is worth bring up with your doctor. Ther is also a lot of info on this site. I have found that it helps, particularly in the beginning, to take a list of questions and concerns with you because it is so easy to forget what you wanted to ask.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote