View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
TriciaK

Would appreciate prayers

I haven't been posting often but I check in when I can and remember you all in thoughts and prayers. Some of you know my current situation---after fighting BC for 25 years, I am now facing my 4th cancer mets. They are back in my right lung, her2positive; there is one larger nodule and many small ones. We've been watching them for several months as my tumor markers (ca27/29) have been rising steadily (132 in July). The original BC in 1985 was in the right breast, then returned to my spine in 1990. Then I was NED for 15 years, until tests after a heart attack in 2004 showed that the cancer was back, now in my right lung, and now her2positive. I had 15 months of herceptin along with 6 months of navelbine. Then my ejection fraction dropped to 30 and my onc took me off herceptin. I've had 5 pretty good years, except for congestive heart failure (under control with meds), another mild heart attack I didn't know I had that showed up on an angiogram in 2009 and various other health problems (a triple bypass in 2006, scoliosis from the 1990 spine mets, fibromyalgia, gall bladder surgery and so on). An echocardiogram a month ago showed that my ef is now 45-50, so my oncologist doesn't feel I should go on herceptin again. I had two chemo treatments with navelbine alone, and then stopped so I could go on a long-planned cruise in Hawaii with my husband and oldest son and daughter-in-law. It was wonderful, though I mostly just enjoyed a lot of peace and rest. after arriving back I had blood tests on Tuesday, Sept 5, and was scheduled to see my onc for results and to plan further chemo the next day. Instead I wound up in the ER with severe chest pain and difficulty breathing. I was afraid it was either another pulmonary embolism (I'd had one 2 years ago) or another heart attack. After a long day of tests and treatments, it looks like it isn't a PE, and although my heart tests were worrisome enough to do an angiogram, it wasn't a heart attack. In fact my caradiologist told me in the cath lab that there was actually some improvement over the 2009 angiogram. He also did a carotoid artery echo and a regular echo with contrast. THe hope is that my ef may have risen enough so my onc will prescribe herceptin. I see the cardiologist Monday and the oncologist on tuesday and should then know what to do next. I feel I want herceptin, even though my heart is not strong. I am asking you for thoughts and prayers and any advice or experiences you may have. I question whether anything but herceptin or tykerb can stop the BC now. (Can't swallow large pills and have a power port so prefer herceptin.) I will keep you informed. Thank you so much for all the love and caring you have shown me and for prayers and suggestions now. Hugs, TriciaK
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote