View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #67
Unregistered

Harrie,Elaine et al,
My computer died for real this time...sigh...so for now on husbands laptop (ugh)...I would love to go into detail but that will have to wait except to say that there are literally hundreds of ethnic groups that have had specific BRCA mutation identified...

This might be of interest...
"the Portuguese converso connection may explain how the Jewish mutation got to Western India, but I now realize that Goa is long way from Konkan. But the Chitpavan home area there, isn't it the same place where the Bene Israel used to live before they moved to Mumbai and, ultimately, all the way to Israel?

Bene Israel have their claim to Jewish roots confirmed by modern genetic studies. Their maternal lineage (mitochondrial) is local Maharashtran, but the paternal lineage (Y-chromosome) is famous Jewish Kohanim. According to their legends they moved to India in 2nd century BCE. So there were some people with really old Jewish roots in your own ancestral neighborhood.

The only problem is, I couldn't find any references to 187delAG being found in any Bene Israel. If the mutation doesn't exist in their population, then it must have reached you by some other route..."