View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Sherryg683

I've had several instances of false positives..scared the daylights out of me. First the PET lit up in my effected breast close to the original surgery site, it was very low SUV. After having an ultrasound and mammogram, it was determined it was scar tissue. On my next set of scans, the issue had resolved itself, the area didn't light up. Then, on my last set of scans, I had a spot on my left ovary light up, the spot was about 2cm. It had moderately high SUV intake. I had a vaginal sonogram done and it was determined it was just a fluid filled cyst that had already shrunk quite a bit. My GYN says that they see quite a few false PET positives, and that mine was probably due to the fact that I was ovulating when I did my scan. So it can and does happen. I am still hoping that my original diagnosis of 2 very small lung mets may have been false positives. My oncologist did not see anything on the CT scan but there were 2 small areas that lit up on PET, looking back at my reports, they had very very low SUV intake, so it could have very well been inflamation or something else. I had just gotten over being dreadfully sick with the flu when my original scans were taken. We never did biopsy them because they were too small, they were gone by the next scan after 6 weeks of chemo. False positive are pretty common in PET scans, that's why if I ever get anymore that we can't tell for sure about, I will insist on some sort of biopsy before I just assume the worst and get back on chemo...sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Last edited by Sherryg683; 11-23-2008 at 09:28 PM..
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote