View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
sarah

Re: Metastatis Breast Cancer - Herceptin required

Dar Manish and Dimple,
I did Herceptin for 6 years and didn't have any side effects. They will check her heart function every 3 months which is the only side effect that can be serious but only for a few people. personally I had no ill effects from Herceptin, drove myself to the hospital (an hour away) for the 6 years and honestly was grateful to be getting it - I considered it my life insurance. I actually begged my oncologist to keep me on it an extra year! Chemo is tougher but necessary and radiation can have some nasty side effects down the line but also necessary. If her doctor thinks she should get it, I would advise her to follow his instructions, it just may save her life. I believe in doing more not less, it's a vicious, tricky, nasty disease that must be fought with a nuclear bomb. She's young and therefore it is aggressive, she sounds like she has good doctors but if you're ever concerned, seek another opinion and read up about it. Being surrounded by a caring family and friends is an asset as is a positive attitude. She will be very tired but that's normal. You can beat it but it's a big fight.Check out on this site about supplements also. many cannot be taken while doing treatment but some can. Tumeric/curcurmin is a big one but there are others that are recommended. Also if she does Herceptin, Co-enzyme Q10 is advised but check this out yourself and with your doctor.
Being a caregiver is a tough job, learn to get away with friends sometimes and find someone you can talk to when it all gets to be too much.
Health and happiness
hugs and love
sarah