Thread: Food column
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
madubois63

I like this idea...sometimes I just can't think of new things to cook...

I am making the standard for dinner tonight - chicken soup. we had a roasted chicken the other night, so I set the leftover meat aside and boiled down the bones for my stock. I bought fresh veggies (carrots, celery, onions, peas, corn, lots of garlic) yesterday and have my herbs growing in the back (I like basil, thyme and parsley in my soup). I use brown rice pasta. I like it better than the whole wheat pasta. Not as gummy. My kids don't like the whole wheat, and they don't even notice a difference in the brown rice pasta. I put salt and pepper to taste and also some turmeric (gives it a nice golden color) and a dash of cayenne.

Last night I made Fettuccini Alfredo with grilled veggies. Grilled baby zucchini, red onions, red and green peppers, snap peas, garlic, scallions, broccoli. Again, I used brown rice pasta. I use 2 kinds of grated cheese for the sauce - Pecarino and Parmesan, fat free half and half, s & p, parsley, garlic and a dash of butter (optional - but I am also cooking for kids). You can add chicken to the mix - sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. The kids like it either way.
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote