Thread: Chemobrain
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
*_AlaskaAngel_*

Your example is identical to what happens to me, Peggy.

A few months ago I went into an office that I deal with every day in my work. I know the 6 staff members there extremely well and in particular the nurses there. I walked into the part of the tiny, 6-room office where the nurses are and saw the nurse. I literally could not distinguish which nurse she was when we were face-to-face, and I know them both really well. It was awkward but I covered up fairly well. I could see from her expression that she was puzzled, but she was also very busy so she let it go.

How on earth can an oncologist like the one that saw you not believe this happens to us?

What I am seeing is a slow but definite movement away from chemotherapy. I suspect that the problem we are having has been denied for a long time, like the problem with estrogen replacement therapy was. I think that very quietly there is an effort to limit the use of chemotherapy at least for women with bc.

The thought of our generation of women ending up either dying from bc or becoming mentally incompetent from treatment would be a very big burden on society and our families.

You are not alone. Concentration is one way to deal with it, but for me it still sneaks up on me every single day in my tasks.

I am trying to find ways to improve my blood count as a way of limiting the damage. I exercise some, I try to get some natural sunlight to help the bones recover so that they can make better blood, and I both take in some liver every week to increase my iron level and also take antioxidants to limit the oxidation damage from iron.

Every medical provider I have asked says there is no effective way to improve blood counts in a permanent way.

XXXX OOOO

A.A.