View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
'lizbeth

Re: Recently diagnosed @ 33 and scared

LoveMyBoys,

It sounds like you are in very good hands. I think having an immediate DIEP reconstruction following a double mastectomy is a very good plan. The DIEP will be major surgery compared to the double mastectomy, but at 33 it is likely you will bounce back really fast. The first week is the toughest. And if they give you the traditional drains after surgery - that was my least favorite part of the recovery. They don't want fluid building up so I ended up with a long tube that lead to a collective bulb in 3-4 locations. I got to drain them twice daily and keep a log. When the drain amount drops below a certain level - out they come! That was a good day to have them removed.

I was able to keep the pain under control with Tylenol, and needed it for maybe a week or so.

I am so glad that you switched to your cousin's doctor. Sounds like you are much more comfortable, and I am glad they mentioned clinical trials.

I'm a little pushy about participating in studies - because they are so important to the future of cancer treatment. And typically they compare a new treatment to one that is the "Standard of Care". I will be highly encouraging for you to examine your clinical trial options - especially due to your young age, and a family history.

When you are recovering from surgery make sure to get the Pathology details from your doctor. Your oncologist will be adjusting your treatment based on the pathology report after the surgery. They will determine the exact sizes of the tumor (s), determining the aggressiveness of the cancer cells, checking for lymph nodes status, clear margins, and possibly a recheck on receptor status.

When you meet with the oncologist it would be a good time to discuss joining a clinical trial. What you've discussed now is the standard treatment of 6 treatment every 3 weeks, and the year of Herceptin.

Herceptin is a targeted therapy that blocks the Her2 receptor on the cell surface. Compared to chemotherapy - this should be very easy for you to tolerate. There are new Her2 treatments that have been approved: Kadcyla, Perjeta (metastatic treatment approval) and Tykerb. Also there are some vaccines for our her2 cancer that are in clinical trials for both early and advanced cancers.

If you had to be diagnosed with cancer - you lucked out with Her2 positive. We've been very fortunate to have so many new treatments. A cancer that once was very unfavorable has become very treatable for the majority of our group.

Post back and let us know how you are fairing after your double mastectomy & reconstruction.

If you have any questions or complaints, or just need some love & support - we've got hundreds of ladies that know exactly what you are going through.

Good Luck for an easy time tomorrow!

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 08-18-2013 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: typo & addition
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote