View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #43
Debbie L.

Re: early Christmas present--10 yr overall & bc specific survival results just publis

Jean, I haven't had time to read the whole study, but it's here: Canadian mammography study . Near as I can tell, the two groups were matched, meaning similar ages, history, etc. One of inclusion criteria was that they not have had a mammogram in the previous 12 months. I understand your point(s) about risk factors, but if both control and experimental groups were matched -- there would be similar risk factors (or not) on both sides, right?

This is not the only study that found no survival benefit to mammography. The ones that have found benefit have found quite a small one -- not nearly as much as what most people believe.

There is a difference between benefit of mammography and known prognostics about stage and survival.

I have read in the press about women who choose not to get mammograms, with their reasoning. But I have not heard any organization, nor anyone on this list (including me) say that women should not get mammograms. It's what we have, but alas -- it's not a very good tool. Its benefit has been hugely oversold, and its harms are not often mentioned. Women should be told the truth about both the possible benefits and the possible harms, and encouraged to make their own decision.

HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote