View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
madubois63

I'd like to chime in on this one...

IN MY OPINION (this is based on my experience and mine alone and is also in retrospect), if you are ER+, take them out no
w. If you are getting your period, then your body is making estrogen (I believe the thyroid also makes estrogen, but the ovaries are the biggest culprit). Estrogen is food for estrogen+ bc.

Any
way, I wish I had mine taken out after my first bout with bc (I am not saying you'll have a reoccurance). I was much stronger than, had better insurance and maybe it would have helped in extending my remission time or stopping a reoccurance altogether???? After my second reoccurance, I tried to have them removed; but by then, I had crappy insurance and it would have cost me a fortune (this would not have stopped me, but it would have hurt my already hurting, non-existing finances). Also (more importantly), I was physically exhausted and recovery would have been slowed (a year of chemo/Herceptin, bc in my lung had caused fluid build up and a weakened lung) and it could not be done the easy way because I opted for tram flap reconstruction that herniated in the lower abdomen area. I tried to have the ooph, but the anesthesiologist actually canceled the procedure (even though I had clearance from my onc and my cardiologist) as I was on the gurney being wheeled in to the operating room (not once but twice)!!! He didn't want to put me under because of my history...My point is that things can change making a simple procedure a major operation. If you do it now, You won't have to worry...Once again, just my opinion.
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver