View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
Chelee

Hi Kristen, If you have gotten your monthly friend back...your correct...this would be a problem. You cannot take an "AI" such as Femara unless you are menopausal. My onc wanted me on an AI instead of Tamoxifen and she thought I would stay menopausal after chemo. I did stay in "chemopause" for about 3 or 4 months after I finished chemo but then my period came back.

What you want to do is have your oncologist check your FSH & Estradiol to see where your at? That will tell you if your menopausal or peri-meno. You have a couple choices depending on your labs. You can always go on Lupron or Zoladex injections to chemically induce menopause so that you can take the Femara...or have a ooph as you mentioned.

But make sure you gather alot of information on this and talk to your oncologist. Maybe even get a 2nd opinion. Oncologist all feel differently about this issue is seems. I had a cyst on one ovary that had to be removed so I decided I might as well have an ooph since I was almost 50 yrs old. (I was constantly having other issues with my onc at the time that helped me make that decision too.) We don't even want to go there. lol

If you decide on an ooph its a very easy surgery and fast recovery. But take your time and get the information you need first. If you want to try the Zoladex or Lupron in order to go on Femara...make sure you still have your onc check your FSH and estradiol levels at least a few times. Maybe every two or 3 months just to make sure your really menopausal. You don't want to be on Femara if your not post-menopausal. Femara will not work if your not post-meno. (And you are right...there are many other woman here that have had ooph's.) It's a personal decision that only you can make for yourself. Talk it over with your onc and see what he/she says. Good luck to you.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote