View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
TanyaRD

Re: Introduction

I am going to do a review of the current literature on flax and see if there is anything new to report. Flax has been controversial in the past, like soy, in regards to breast cancer. However, it is generally allowable in the diet. I often don't recommend flax oil as an omega 3 supplement because omega 3 from fish is better utilized in the body but often recommend ground flax in the diet. I will do the literature review over the next couple of days and report back in an individual thread.

As for green tea I would be curious as to the reason. Sometimes it will be restricted if one is on warfarin (coumadin) because of Vitamin K content (although when brewed is VERY low). There was a recent study demonstrating some decrease effectiveness of Velcade (not typically used in Br. Cancer) in patients drinking green tea. Of course, we often caution patients to avoid high dose antioxidants during chemotherapy or radiation but that which is naturally found in the diet is not generally considered harmful. Every practice is different though as is every individual's situation. It is important to look at everything on a case by case basis. If you feel strongly about doing a particular thing for your health during treatment be sure to keep talking to your health care team and keep asking questions until you feel your question has been adequately answered.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote