Thread: Joy Column
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #417
Colleens_Husband

Re: Joy Column

My youngest crewman, Jacob, has always said that he would do anything to go up into the bell tower of the Atkinson Memorial Church which is the oldest Methodist Church west of the Mississippi River.

I recently got a job to survey the church property for a future expansion. Since the church is in a historical district it has to have an architect review to ensure the expansion will match the original church.

Yesterday I got to go out to the job site and I told Jacob that I needed to run the instruments and the data collectors on the final few shots. I handed Jacob the prism pole and told him to follow the curate. Within a few minutes I saw Jacob up in the bell tower and he had a huge grin on his face. He asked if I could take pictures of him up in the tower. He said the view was fabulous and it was even better than he ever hoped it would be.

He spent almost an hour up in the tower and on the way down I overheard him phoning his girlfriend to tell her that he had the best job ever.

I am the boss and I have to send people out into awful weather, terrible brush, and over nasty steep slopes. Being able to make one of my employees' weeks is a rare treat. I almost enjoyed the moment more than Jacob did.

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008
life is still on hold
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote