View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #14
sabpri

I was in a unique position..

with my weird pathology, as I had 2 Tumors, one that was ER/PR+ and weak Her2 and not amplified (I think that means it was negative!). The other Tumor was Triple Negative with an ***. The * stated that while the Her2 score = 0, a small subset, like 10%, tested Her2+++ and was amplified. No one has really been able to decode this for me, but I think it means the stinker was starting to change from triple negative to Her2+ when we caught it. So basically I am hormone and Her2 positive.

I was 36 at the time and even though I had kids, I went through a lot of infertility to have them and the thought of being denied the ability to have children again by removing my ovaries was devastating. Knowing that I am a major worry wart and that I need to be around for my 2 year old twins and 4 year old daugther, I went ahead and had my ovaries removed so I could take the AI (Arimidex). Everything I read seemed to point to that option being better, and when I tested BRCA+, that made it real easy to decide to do it.

So far it has been 3 months since my surgery and other than some light hot flashes, nothing too bad. The hot flashes were actually significantly worse on chemo than after the removal. Weird!

As my oncologist says, I am taking the "kitchen sink", with Herceptin and Arimidex to cover all bases. I just pray it keeps the monster at bay!

Natalie