View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Gerri

Re: Hips are Good--Femurs not so much

Hi Sassy,

So sorry that you are going through such a painful time. I hope you find a solution soon.

I don't have any experience with Forteo, but thought I would share my experience with my bone health. I was on Tamoxifen for 2 yrs, then Femara for 4 yrs. Due to my osteopenia, I was receiving Zometa every six months. I was not improving so my onc and surgeon decided to take me off of Femara and Zometa and put me on Evista (raloxifene) to strengthen my bones. It is a SERM just like Tamoxifen, but for post-menopausal women. There have been several studies done (STAR, MORE) that show Evista promotes bone health and may prevent fractures. While it has not been proven to prevent recurrence of breast cancer, it has been used in post menopausal women at risk of developing breast cancer.

I did not really have many side effects when I was on Tamoxifen or Femara and the same goes for Evista. I do get leg cramps, which are a possible side effect, but something that I can deal with. I have only been on Evista for a little more than a year so I don't know if my osteopenia has improved or not. I'm sure my onc will order another bone density test at my next appointment.

Best of luck finding a solution to your problem.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote