View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
ymryan

Re: Is it common side effect?

You sound like a wonderful caregiver!! I have had 3 infections (2 were caused by other chemo side effects and one was a sinus infection) since starting chemotherapy and one of my first symptoms every time was a fever. My oncologist requires me to call anytime as soon as the temperature reaches above 100.4. At that point he decides whether to see me (based on my other symptoms) but he has always prescribed an antibiotic for a fever that is not going away on its own within a short period of time. The antibiotics are usually k-pacs that are only taken for 5 days which allow me to get over my infections very quickly and avoid delaying chemo treatments. I am now receiving Neulasta to keep my white blood count up and I have not had a fever/infection since receiving that medicine (it's keeping my white count up within a normal or near normal range).

I wouldn't hesitate to call the oncologist on his/her mobile #. They expect the calls.

Take care and hang in there! Keep us posted.

Nov 09 - Grade 3 IDC + Grade 3 DCIS, ER/PR-, HER2+++, KI-67 91%; BRAC 1 and 2 negative
Dec 09 - Mastectomy LB, 2.4 cm, 1/27 nodes, Stage IIB
Jan 10 - Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin (TCH) for 18 weeks (1X every 3 weeks); Herceptin every week for 18 weeks then every 3 weeks 'til week 51
Apr 10 - Blood transfusion to increase red blood cells
Apr 10 - Change regimen to Taxotere/Cisplatin/Herceptin
May 10 - Chemo done!
Jul 10 - Brain MRI normal
Dec 10 - PET scan NED
Dec 30 10 - Last Herceptin
Feb 11 - Port removed
ymryan is offline   Reply With Quote