View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
jml

Re: Bile duct obstruction/ elevated liver enzymes, anyone?

HI Everyone~

Thanks for keeping up with me & sorry I haven't been back to post an up-date.
It's been quite a rollercoaster these past 4 weeks and life has gotten really complicated again.
I'll start a new post, as I have new findings (mets in colon-has anyone ever heard of this???) and have been dropped for the 2nd study - the PI3Kinase/Herceptin study, and will be starting Halaven next week.
As for the liver enzyme issues - I had a liver CT that came back clean - no masses causing obstructions or dilated vessels - which was/is wonderful news. And I met with a hepatologist and have been having labs drawn 2x week for the past 4 weeks. Fortunately, the LFT's have just gradually come down to WNL on their own.
The hepatologist didn't have any ideas of what might have caused the spike, other than exposure to some weird virus, as my eosinophils were elevated too. But he said there was no reason to go in and poke & prod & biopsy my liver if the LFT's were returning to normal on their own.
However, in terms of the study, the LFT's would have had to return to normal within 21 days of suspending treatment in order for me to continue. Since it took 28 days, I was booted off the study.
That came with it's own bag of frustrations, because originally I was told there was no time limit, then I was told there was, but that the PI would petition for an exemption and I would be able to start back this week, and then finally told that the sponsor denied the petition and I was taken off study.

All of this was going on while I was waiting to speak with the GI doc regarding my colonoscopy results. I fill in the details on my new post, but as I mentioned earlier, there are 2 areas of my colon that looked "inflamed" that the GI doc took biopsies and now turn out to be BC mets.
I feel totally blindsided by that news because I have never heard of BC mets to the colon.

I go see my onc today @1pm to start making plans to start Halaven. I have run the gamut of all the approved combos for MBC and Halaven is the only one I haven't had. Thank God it's available, bc as we scoured around looking for another study for me, we've had no luck.

I'm feeling very defeated again. Like I just can't take the humiliation of working so hard & fighting so hard and tolerating so much only to be blindsided by this disease
invading another part of my body.
In addition to all of this, my sweet father suffered a catastrophic stroke the ~12 weeks ago. The same week that I was traveling to Nashville to screen for the PI3Kinase study & there was no way I could travel to Hawaii to see him and my Mom. Then I was on weekly visits to Nashville for the study for the next 6 weeks, so I still couldn't get to Hawaii. Finally, when I moved into the q3week visit schedule of the study I went right to Hawaii. It was on my return visit to Nashville that the liver enzymes spiked, and then all this other stuff started happening. I'm stunned by all of this and can't figure out how I'm going to tell my Mom, as her plate is so full, taking care of my dad, who still isn't able to speak, but by the grace of God is getting physically stronger every day.I just don't want to give her one more thing to worry about, but at the same time I just want to run to her for her comfort when I'm feeling so scared and defeated.

Trying to keep the faith~

Jml
jml is offline   Reply With Quote