Thread: Port Problems
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #13
weezie1053

Smile

Annie,

I completed 16 rounds of chemo in Feb 07 and I completed my Herceptin in Nov 07. I had problems with my first port. I was fortunate that the one of the senior nurses in the Fusion Center @ UVA made some noise and insisted that the Oncologists do something. A test confirmed there was a problem with the line, and it was replaced. The second port rarely gives me any problems. I also think in time, you become more tolerant of the port and the use of it. I can remember using numbing creams and ice. Towards the second part of my treatment, I simply counted 3, 2, 1 with the nurse, and they would stick me. (Saved time for shopping later in the day...) I have also found there are different type of needles that affect the "draw" of fluids. I went in 2 weeks ago to have my port flushed, and one of the nurses was having problems.Once again, the senior nurse intervened. She came in and looked at the needle. She told me she refused to use that particular type of needle, and she went and got a different type. I have found some nurses are more skilled than others in accessing the ports.

I hope it also becomes less aggravating for you.

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote