View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #40
Becky

Re: How do you feel about a Memorial/Tribute Forum?

Well, I put this sticky up because this subject comes up from time to time. I feel obligated to ask ALL OF YOU your opinions because it is our site and (as an aside only), I am on the Board of Directors of the Her2 Support Group. As such, the board wouldn't exist without all of you coming here, caring and sharing.

However, I am also just a member too. I haven't even voted yet. I put this up for you. When I put this up, I really did want a Memorial page although I think that decision must be made taking into full consideration of what you want. There are many things to ponder. Some of these things have been brought up on this thread.

We have had a hard year on this board. Two long term members who everyone knew, Brenda, and now Sheila have passed on. Emelie B, Krisvell and others. Being a member 8 years there were members many of you will never know but would have loved very much such as Tousled, Lolly, Lisa (Love and Light), SandyH, Shell, Lily from Equador. But there are new members who come for our love, support and friendship. In this thread, many state they may not have come back after coming on the first time and seeing a memorial page. Since Brenda and Sheila have just died, you can image what that page would look like just with them. So, as me, just good ole member Becky, I will tell you what I have been thinking about. The group's name is Her2Support group. It was founded to give support to breast cancer patients and survivors who are Her2 positive. At the time, and actually even now, we are different from other kinds of bc. Different (and new) treatments and different and new outcomes. At home based bc support groups, we may find that we are the only Her2+ one in the group. Not so here and this is why Joe Druther created this site. So we can find each other. We understand "Herceptin, Tykerb, Perjeta, TDM1" etc. If I haven't gone thru it, someone else here has and can lend a hand - the word SUPPORT shines through. This is what we are. This is what we do. It is clearer and clearer to me everyday that we are a family of close friends who never meet, may never even know what each other even looks like or even know each other's real name (my real name is Becky). A memorial page may be very frightening for a new member who NEEDS us and may not post nor return. How sad that would be. I will say one thing. In our birthday section, our Angel members still come up if they put their birthday in. That may be a good way to remember if someone wishes. Start a Happy Birthday thread and if there is a funny story to tell, tell it. Also, anybody can start a thread about "Remembering SandyH (and her green shoes)" or Tousled or anyone at all. I'm not sure.

I will still discuss this with the Druther girls in the New Year if a memorial page or something like it is what you want. And I will do this just like a Congressman votes for his delegates even if it is not his opinion. But as just Becky, I believe support and the love and caring we all have for each other (which is evident) is what Her2Support is all about. I wish all of you peace during the holiday season and love during this difficult time on the board.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote