View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
Laurel

Re: COURTNEY'S LATEST UPDATE. When the going gets tough....the tough keep going!

NEW UPDATE FROM COURTNEY AND JAY:

Decisions Decisions

I’m going to have to make some hard decisions this weekend: treatments about chemo, treatments about home care, and general treatment decisions. These aren’t easy choices.
Because I know the price that I’ll have to pay for going on a toxic chemo again. But I know the reward I will see if I go back on chemo. Hopefully my chest wall disease will disappear. But with cancer there are no guarantees. [Jay notes: We did meet with the UCSF 2nd opinion expert, and working with Dr. Smith, we have an option. Courtney will be starting a low-dose oral chemotherapy on Monday to attempt to keep the disease stable, while also maintaining our quality of life.]
In the meantime, we are still trying to jump the hurdle of me walking. I am making some progress, but still am wheelchair bound, much to my disappointment. I have learned a lot about myself going through this experience of being partially paralyzed. I am grateful for the people in my life who do the simple things for me, like Jay, who has breakfast ready every morning, like my Mom who’s been spending time with us and helping with unpleasant tasks like going to the bathroom and doing laundry among other things.
In other more hopeful news, Jay began his new job last week [sold his company!], and is already in the swing of things. Although he does miss his morning sleep, a luxury previously offered by being his own boss.
That’s all for now. Tune in next week for a treatment update.
[Jay notes: The past few days brought some great dinners at home w/ friends, countless phone calls (it’s impossible to talk to everyone who calls, so please understand), and quality time together. This weekend, we will be spending more time with Courtney's family , a leisurely Sat in San Francisco, and really soaking life up...]

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote