View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
Jean

Thanks Kate,

this news article is interesting...I find it strange that the panel has advised FDA not to pass the drug, since it is currently being used for other cancers (colon and lung) and has shown to be benifical to bc patients with advanced stage disease. Let's hope the FDA will pass the drug in Feb. My onc. who is very cauious is excited about passage of this drug and felt it would be approved by the FDA....I hope he is correct.

We all know that these drugs can create negative or fatal results in any given population of drugs. Those percentages are small - and unfortunately it can happen.

I do not understand why a drug would be denied to bc patients when it is being given to others who are fighting cancer? Let's hope Avastan will be approved in Feb. by the FDA...This somehow reminds me of the early horror stories I was told about Herceptin and heart failure. Everytime I discussed Herceptin...the dr. would shout out the fatal side effects of herceptin...and this was just back in 2005....

In the earlier days the dr. did not know to halt the A/C and then administer herceptin...what if they shelved herceptin becasue of the
percentage of fatal results ? The percentages are small with negative results with Avastan and prolonged survival percentages are better.
I thought the panel was wrong when they said the time was not acceptable (5months for survival) just think - who knows what could be developed in 5 months ....

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006