View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Lolly

Kim, I'm so sorry you felt you may have offended or scared anyone here; I'm pretty sure we're all "bomb proof"!

I wonder if your mom isn't partly in denial; that might account for her reluctance to take measures to counteract side effects, and also explain her shock at the mention of hospice...
Denial is a very common state of mind, one we're all too familiar with. A bit of denial can be a good thing, but too much is clearly harmful. Anyway, sounds like she's feeling much better with the hydration, and feeling better will hopefully translate into more willingness to do the necessary things to stay feeling as well as she can.
Hydration is so, so important. Just keep encouraging her, she's very lucky to have you and your sis there to help her through this.
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote