View Single Post
Old 12-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #2
Lolly

Hello Fellow Survivor!
Your dx sounds similar to mine; I started treatment in Oct.'99 after left mastectomy, 4 A/C and 4 Taxol plus 33 rads. I didn't follow up with Herceptin as at that time it wasn't standard to offer it before Stage 4. I did have a recurrence 6 months after finishing treatment and will always wonder what if...so glad for you that you're receiving it NOW!
I received it weekly along with Navelbine for the first 6 months, and most of the side effects I experienced (low blood counts, extremely acid stomach, fever) I think were due to the Navelbine, so in that respect our situations differ. I am now on a 3 weekly cycle and sometimes am tired, sleepy and somewhat achey the afternoon of the treatment but am usually fine by the next day. Once in a while I am achey in joints and muscles for 2-3 days, but that seems to happen only if I'm already tired and run down before a treatment, so I try to take extra good care of myself and get plenty of sleep the week before treatment day. As you are on a weekly schedule you'll want to be sure and stay on a regular schedule of sleep, and just in general eat a good diet and take care of yourself; things you already know about I'm sure!
I think some others who are receiving Herceptin as adjuvant will most likely be responding, and will have good advice for you. Keep us posted on your progress!
Hugs,
Lolly