View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #19
VDC

Re: I think I'm in trouble!

Pathology of the two biopsies on Monday both came back as benign! I'm actually in shock. Not what I expected at all. Now I just have to deal with the original diagnosis.

I requested an MRI of BOTH breasts since the two new lesions were not discovered by mammography. And, even though they turned out to be benign I decided we really should check out the healthy breast! My doctor didn't think it was necessary and wasn't keen on the idea.

I prevailed when I did my research and explained that for HIGH GRADE DCIS, MRI is 84% accurate in estimating the extent of DCIS. Low grade sometimes doesn't even show up on MRI, but high grade usually does. It made sense to me to not only check on my healthy girl, but to get as much information on the DCIS as possible. Particularly since surgery is "blind" and they can't always "see" the cancer to know what to remove. Mammography historically underestimates the size of DCIS so most surgeons will take a bunch more than the mammogram indicates. BUT they don't know how much to take. It is a guess really. MRI can with 84% accuracy tell the extent of HIGH grade DCIS.

After my explanation she agreed to order an MRI. I had the impression that this was new to her. I think she thought that MRI wasn't a good way to investigate DCIS and that is true for low grade. BUT if you already know it is high grade, MRI is an excellent way to evaluate prior to surgery.

I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow afternoon! And I meet with the surgeon tomorrow morning. Yes, meeting with the surgeon before the MRI, but that was just the way the vacant appointments were. She can always call me after the results of the MRI come in.

I have a surgery date of February 23, unless I decide to pursue another clinical trial. This one is a vaccine as well, but it is only for people who have a blood type of HLA-A2. I have requested that my blood be tested for this marker. If it is negative, then surgery goes on as planned, but if it is positive, then I have a choice to make......
VDC is offline   Reply With Quote