View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #52
lauri

Re: To treat or not to treat VERY early stage HER2 IDC

Jacqueline, I wasn't told about genetic counseling but looked it up myself. I then called Myrian Labs today, where my BRCA test was done and spoke to a genetic counselor. She said a councelor is usually spoken to before treatment to tell you treatment options. Since I have had treatment already they couldn't really give me any new opinions that I haven't already heard from my onco and surgeon....I was hoping it would be my answer to talk to one...I also have no insurance so I'm limited to what I can do. I have an appointment with both my onco and the radiologist tomorrow. I'm going to drill them the best I can! What the genetic counselor told me, a mastectomy reduces my chances of it coming back by 90% but she didn't know the percentages for radiation. Having my ovaries and falopian tubes removed is a definate, I'm done having babies and it will reduce my chances by 90-95% of ovarian and uterine cancer.
The darn BRCA gene is the one making it so hard! One minute I feel rads are my choice the next I lean toward mastectomy......
She also said a false positive is <1% so they wont retest..
Lauri
Continue Herceptin until 10/11
lauri is offline   Reply With Quote