Thread: Teeth
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #19
harrie

Re: Teeth

I had no dental problems as a result of my chemo of TCH. There can be other factors that can increase the risk of dental problems such as dry mouth. Dry mouth can possibly be a side effect from certain meds as well as stress. A sig decrease in saliva can put one at risk for dental decay. This can be counted by making changes in your oral hygiene daily routine.
Sometimes people suck on hard candies to help alleviate dry mouth. If done too often, can make one very high risk for decay.
There are products on the market to help prevent decay.
Clenching can also increase risk of causing fractures or putting undue stress on roots of teeth. Clenching is not uncommon with acute stress. The side effects of clenching can also be minimized with awareness, massages, etc.
Biotene is suppose to be designed for dry mouth. I heard of one person that does "oil pulling" which is swishing with coconut oil. If I had dry mouth, I would try that.
Various products to help reduce dental decay: Sensodyne Restore and Repair, Prevident was mentioned earlier and thats good, MI Paste (RX) should help considerably.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara

Last edited by harrie; 07-11-2015 at 03:16 PM..
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote